Thursday, March 11, 2010

Make your own steamer

How to make a simply microwave steamer at home. This is perfect for making speedy bento, you don't have to wait for a pot of water or an electronic steamer to heat up. You also don't have to pay 3$ to order one offline and wait weeks to get it! The pictures are labeled 1-5 just follow along.
  1. You will need two medium sized plastic food storage containers and 1 lid.
  2. Cut along the side about 3/4s of the way down and then cut around.
  3. You should get something similiar to this.
  4. Cut/poke some vent holes in your newly cut container. This is going to be the platform.
  5. Fill your non cut container with abit of water, then insert your cut container open side down until it is sturdy. Place your veggies on top and sit the lid on do not seal it up  just let it rest lightly on top.
  6. Place in mircowave and heat until desired tenderness of your veggie!
Make sure you use a microwave safe container. You can cut holes in the top aswell but letting it rest on top does just the same. I haven't tried it with rice, but im guessing it would probably work if anyone uses it for anything else let me know! Hope this helps out. I know it is usefull in my kitchen when i prepare bento for only myself. I can quickly steam up some veggies to throw in my box.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! May have to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is a great idea! I was lucky enough to grap one of the mini steamers from Ichiban Kan before they closed their online shop. I use that thing ALL the time! So handy.

    ReplyDelete